Friday, July 1, 2011

Flashback Fridays...Repetitive Questions

"What color is my hair?" "What color is my hair?" "What color is my hair?" What color is my hair?" "What color is my hair?" "What color is my hair?" "What color is my hair?"
...Ok at what point did it start to annoy you? Was the by the second time or the third or maybe you made it all the way to the end. Try hearing this over and over and over and over. Hourly. Daily. Weekly...you get the point. This is what I mean by repetitive questions. When you are faced with this on a daily basis it is more than annoying it is extremely stressful...especially when this often the only thing you can get your child to say. The psychologist's suggestion? Write the answer on a piece a paper and let her hold it to look at we she needed to. Did I think she was crazy when she suggested this? Absolutely. Did I try it? Yes...desperately. Looking back now I can see how desperately she was trying to communicate...anyway she could. Looking back now I realize that maybe we needed to go through the repetitive questions and the echoing and the silence...to get where we are now. Looking back now I can't even remember when it ended or how...but I know where we are...I can't even remember when it ended or how...but I know where we are...a place that I am happy to be. In the present....with an autistic kid...a verbal autistic kid...who amazes me a little more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment