Monday, June 30, 2014

Blueberry Orange Mug Cake

I think I just might be obssessed with these little cakes.  They are so quick and easy to make, and it's fun to experiment with different flavor and ingredient combinations.  This time I was inspired by my morning smoothie, an oatmeal, blueberry and orange juice combination. It was delicious, which got me to thinking of how the flavor combination might work in one of these quick cakes.
It turned out with a mixture of sweet and tangy, and the cake itself had the consistency of a sponge cake. I liked the fact that it wasn't too sweet and the flavor of the orange juice seemed to brighten the blueberries. I did not add in the oatmeal, but may substitute part of the flour with oatmeal when I make this again. I made it for dessert but I think it would be just as good at the breakfast table served as a muffin with fresh fruit and cup of hot coffee.  Here is what I did:

2-3 tbs blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 tbs sugar
1/3 cup Self-rising flour
Cinnamon
Orange Juice

Place 2-3 tablespoons of blueberries into a microwave safe mug or ramekin. If frozen, defrost berries before adding the rest of the ingredients. Stir in 1 tablespoon of sugar. Add 1/3 cup of self rising flour and a dash of cinnamon. Add the orange juice in a tablespoon at a time, stirring in between each addition. Add by the tablespoon until mixture is a thick batter. Microwave for 1 minute or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle top with powder sugar. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment