Saturday, June 28, 2014

Chipotle Black Bean Hummus

Summer, unfortunately for us, is one of Dork's busiest times. However, one of the benefits to his job is that Quirky and I can stop by and visit with him and the people he works with just about anytime. This is a good thing because a few days of long hours and barely seeing each, I start to go stir crazy. The little things that Quirky does begin to aggravate, the everyday sounds around the house begin to annoy. I admit it...I need Dork. The other day was one of those days. I needed to see his face just as much as needed to hear his voice. So Quirky and I decided to make Dork and the people he works with a treat for them to snack on. We decided on homemade bread and a Chipotle Black Bean Hummus. The bread was made from my basic go to recipe that I have made for years, but the hummus was something that we made up as we went along. If the way Dork and the guys gobbled it up is any indication then I think it might have been pretty good. Here is what we did:


Chipotle Black Bean Hummus

1 can (15-16 oz.) of black beans
3 tsps minced garlic
3-4 tbs smoky chipotle peppers
1-2 tbs olive oil
Hot Sauce
Salt

Rinse well and drain the black beans, and add to the food processor. Next add in the garlic and the chipotle peppers. Add just a pinch of salt. Blend well, until it resembles a thick paste. Slowly begin to add the olive oil, until the spread reaches a smooth but thick consistency. Do a quick taste test and add extra hot sauce to adjust the heat to your taste. I added about three good dashes for Dork taste. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. The flavors will meld and the heat will intensify.

This turned out to be a pretty tasty hummus. It was spicy, but paired with the slightly sweet taste of warm homemade bread even I was ok with the heat. Normally I'm not a spicy foods fan. I think this would also be great as a spread for roast beef sandwiches or maybe a southwestern style pizza. My brain is buzzing with possibilities.




No comments:

Post a Comment