Monday, July 14, 2014

Egg Muffins

Egg Muffin Ingredients

While Quirky slept the morning away, I spent a relaxing morning in the kitchen, making breakfast for Quirky and myself for the whole week. I love cooking with Quirky, but sometimes it's just peaceful to be in the kitchen by myself. In the silence I contemplated what to make, and considered making mini blueberry pancakes to freeze, but ultimately decided on egg muffins. This is something I've been making for Quirky since she has been a toddler, the only difference being then they were mini muffins with only cheese but now I can make them a little more hearty. I love making them because anything goes, your ingredients can be just about what ever you want or what you have on hand. This is what I did.


Searching the freezer for ingredients, I pulled out maple flavored sausage and was hoping for broccoli, but found that we were out and grabbed carrots and bell peppers instead. I chopped the ingredients into small pieces, the sound of the knife hitting the cutting board echoing in the silence. Since the veggies were frozen not fresh, I decided to sauté them before adding them to my eggs. The sausage provided more than enough oil, but I did decide to add a couple of teaspoons of garlic and a small dash of cayenne pepper. I sautéed the mixture until the garlic turned a light golden color. 

Egg Muffins

I sprayed the pan with oil and cracked one egg into each of the muffin tins. Using the handle end of a spatula, I mixed up the egg and the yolk, because Quirky won't eat them otherwise. Then I divided the sausage and vegetable mixture among the eggs. Then I popped them in the oven at 400°F until the were lightly browned and a toothpick inserted came out clean. I let them cool and then bagged them up for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment