Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Homemade Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie


Dork is still working long summer hours, but today Quirky is with him. So after a late morning appointment, I found myself in the unusual position of being home alone. Should I go sew for awhile and begin some of those ideas I've been throwing around my head? Or maybe I should work on homeschool planning for 8th grade before the beginning of school sneaks up on me? I could even pull out the paints and start on that blank canvas that has been staring at me for weeks. There were so many possibilities of what I might do, but ultimately I decided I would make a special dinner for them. One of their favorites, homemade chicken pot pie. I know it is a hot time of year for this kind of meal, but Quirky and Dork never seem to care. They inhale the stuff like I'll never make it again. It's one of those meals that I could make with my eyes closed, in other words super simple. Here is what I did:

You will need:

Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie

4 cooked and diced chicken breasts
1 small frozen mixed vegetables (defrosted)
1 can golden mushroom soup
Half and half

First I sautéed the chicken on the stove top just until done, then I diced it up into small chunks and tossed it into a large mixing bowl. Then in the bowl I mixed in a small bag of defrosted mixed vegetables. I used a carrot, peas, corn, and green bean mixture. Next I stir in a can of golden mushroom soup, un diluted. Your mixture should have a glazed look. Then I cover the mixture and set it aside while I work on the crust.

There are two ways that I have made the crust in the past. The first way is super super simple, just buy repackaged crust in the refrigerated section at the store. I always feel a little guilty about doing it that way...should I really call it "homemade" at that point? However, if time is a factor then it is an effective way to make the pot pie. I usually go the homemade route when I can.

If I time is not a factor then I try to make the crust from scratch, besides something about rolling out dough is therapeutic. This what you will need:

Pie Crust 

2-2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
1 stick of butter 
Ice cold water

In a food processor mix together the flour, salt, and sugar. Chop the butter up into small chunks and add to food processor. Mix well, until dough and butter starts to cling together in chunks. Slowly add ice water, as the food processor mixes. Use only enough water to bring the dough together. This makes enough for a deep dish pot pie.

The rest is a breeze. I usually divide the dough in two balls, with one slightly larger than the other. Take the large ball and begin to press the dough into your greased casserole dish with the heel of your hand. Turning the bowl as you work helps to keep the dough even. Push it all the way up to the edge of your dish. Then take your chicken and vegetable mixture and pour into crust. Now, take the second ball of dough and then either with a rolling pin or your hands flattened out your dough until it is roughly the shape of your dish. Place this dough directly on top of your chicken mixture. Fold the edges of bottom crust right over on top of the top crust. It's not pretty, but really who cares? Bake in a 425°F oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown on top.

A couple of notes: 

You can experiment with the soup. I have even used broccoli cheese for a cheesy pot pie. 
I have reduced the butter by using Greek yogurt. The dough was a little harder to deal with, and the taste is a little tangy.




No comments:

Post a Comment