Friday, June 17, 2011

Flashback Friday...Brushing Quirky's Teeth

Tonight I sent Quirky upstairs to brush her teeth and she did. So? No big deal right? Parents all over the world are probably doing that same thing as I type. But for us...well its kind of a big deal. Quirky is brushing her own teeth....willingly.


You see Quirky used to HATE (there really is no other way to put it) having her teeth brushed. She screamed...she cried...she gagged....she cried and screamed some more. Often she would run off...with me chasing behind her like a lunatic wielding the offending toothbrush complete with the gag inducing toothpaste. Did I mention that she is blue ribbon winner in track...lets just say she is fast now and was fast then. Upon catching her either Dork or I would hold her while the other brushed her teeth as fast as possible. It was a complete cardiovascular workout. It was a complete pain in the....well you get the picture.
Looking back now it was all rather comical...at the time it didn't seem so comical...at the time it felt like I was the only parent in the world who couldn't get her (older than I like to admit) child to brush her teeth. At the time it felt like I was the worst parent in the world. The worst because I couldn't get her to brush her teeth willingly...the worst because I had to force her to (Rotten teeth were really just not an option).
Luckily we've moved on. To tell the truth I don't remember exactly when or really couldn't tell you what caused the turning point in the whole teeth brushing fiasco. All I can say is that I am happy to be able to say...."Go brush your teeth."

What are flashback fridays?

No comments:

Post a Comment