Thursday, December 6, 2012

Almost Instant Oatmeal Muffins

     What should you do if you have five packs of maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal that everybody seems to be avoiding? I mean they are just sitting there...waiting...I mean wasting.


Make muffins of course! So how did we do it?

You will need:

5 packs of Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal
1 tsp of baking powder
1 egg (well beaten)
1 large banana mashed to pieces until resembles baby food
About 1/2 cup of flour (**see note below**)
Orange Juice

     Mix all dry ingredients together until well blended. Next add mashed banana and beaten egg mix well. Mixture will still be a little dry. Slowly add orange juice until mixture is moist and the consistency of a thick batter. Drop by the spoonfuls into a mini muffin pan. I baked mine on 400*F for about 8-10 minutes.

     Now how easy was that? Well considering I wasn't sure what I was going to make at first and I really didn't have a recipe...just a vague idea in my head...pretty easy. I have to confess I did look on the Internet...I even pinned a bunch of recipes to try later. The problem was that the ingredient lists are usually a mile long and have things on the list that I never have in the house...and oh yeah I ran out of milk two days ago.
OK, so I am not out to a good start. I almost gave up at this point, but I recouped...put my thoughts together and started pulling out ingredients. Mixed all ingredients with trepidation...what if this tastes like something that has been stuck on the bottom of someones shoe for awhile. Put in oven anyway...wait what seems like forever (not really). Delicious smells drift from oven...heave sigh of relief. Few minutes later...try to explain to Quirky that she can't eat them all in one night. The fact that she loves them...well let's just say its a major mommy ego boost.

     So don't just sit there...go grab your kids and get cooking! If you come up with a great spur of the moment recipe with your kids Quirky and I would love to hear about it.

** For the flour I actually used a packet of crumble mixture that I had leftover from a box muffin mix that I didn't use...it was just sitting around waiting to be used.**








No comments:

Post a Comment