Friday, December 7, 2012

The Ghost of Christmas Past

     Stay tuned for 5 minutes of programming after these 15 commercials...don't worry it will only take you 2 hours to watch this 20 minute show. BUY! BUY! BUY! It moves, it talks, and it'll even make your bed! You have to have these...you are so lame if you don't. What do you mean you don't have your own phone...every 6 year old should have one...go insist on one today! Open all night....prices just increased for the holidays!!! BUY! BUY! BUY! Go tell your parents now...time is wasting!!! OK so maybe I am exaggerating just a bit...but have you noticed the increase of commercials geared toward children? I have...but this year I am not getting fooled. Why not? Well I have the ghost of Christmas Past to...

remind me of how needed...and ultimately really wanted...most Christmas presents really are.
     Who is my Ghost of Christmas Past? This guy...
a furry critter that was all the rage a few years ago. He's bigger than our real dog and quite frankly he makes more noise. I guess those things are fine for some kids...but Quirky doesn't and never has liked toys that make noise. Now at this point you might be asking yourself why on Earth would Dork and I buy Quirky this toy...well (insert sheepish shrug here)...she said she wanted it. She saw the commercials...those kids were having a ball...it looked like fun...she wanted to have fun to. We caved...we forked out more money that I am willing to admit for an electronic fake pet. I could have bought her a real dog cheaper. For that matter...we had two real dogs at the time!!! 
     OK ..so let's fast forward just a bit...say a month or two after Christmas. Batteries removed...stuffed in the corner of her closet he sat...untouched and unplayed with. He sat that way for a long time...the Ghost of Christmas Past...staring at me when I would put away her clothes. Mocking me with those beady glass eyes. Until I could take it no more...begone you ghost. Poof!
     No...there really was no magic to it. I sold him at yard sale, for third of the cost we paid, to a friend of ours for her little girl. She is a beautiful little girl and I hope that she can give this furry critter the love he deserves. I hope that it makes her Christmas morning...I hope her face lights up with joy. Most of all  I hope he does not become their ghost of Christmas Past. 

Do you have a Ghost of Christmas Past?

No comments:

Post a Comment