Saturday, August 16, 2014

Getting Ready For The New School Year

The new school year is just around the corner and I have been busy...busy...busy trying to get everything ready for the first day. I finally got around to cleaning out our school room/ sun room, which I have been saying I was going to do since the last day of th school year last year. I may have procrastinated just a bit.


I cleaned off our shelves and managed to find a stack of books that are going to either make their way into a yard sale or their way to a used book store. This is a major accomplishment for me, it pains me to get rid of any book, but it was time. Most of them are geared more toward elementary school, and well, Quirky will be entering high school very soon. I guess you might say that I didn't need them. The good news is that I now have room for all those new books I bought over the summer for our new school year.

Next I cleaned out all of Quirky's old notebooks. I pulled a couple of work samples from each course that we covered and put those into our yearly portfolio and the rest was sent to the recycling bin. It was hard to choose which items to keep, so I focused mostly on writing samples and independent projects that she completed. All in all I think that ended up with a good example of her abilities. Our state doesn't necessarily requires work samples, but I always figure its a good idea to keep a few things.


After everything was cleared out, my wonderful hubby helped me move furniture around so that our printer was a little more accessible. Last year I had to lean over the side of our small sofa to reach the printer. Not the most ideal location. Now, it sits where I. Can simply walk up to it. Seems simple I know, but after having my blood rush to my head on one to many occasions, I really wanted it moved.

Last but not least I rearranged our book shelves, putting our new books for the school year where they would be easily accessible. I restocked our supply of notebook, graph, and construction paper. Everything is right where we need it. Dork even cleaned up and painted a set of old metal library style bookends a bright cheerful green for me. They look beautiful and serve a much needed purpose.

I really don't know why I waited so long to do all this, but I am so relieved that it is finally done. Yeah...I get to cross one thing off my back to school list. 



No comments:

Post a Comment