Friday, August 1, 2014

Tex-Mex Stuffed Zucchini

Tex-Mex Zucchini 
As I mentioned in a previous post, I have been trying to watch both my carbs and my cholesterol in an attempt to get healthier. So for dinner the other night, when I had quesadillas on the menu, I decided to make mine a little more carb friendly without cooking a completely seperate meal. Lucky me I had fresh zucchini in the fridge and decided to make Tex-Mex Stuffed Zucchini. It turned out delicious. It was very simple and took hardly no time to adapt what I had already made for Quirky and Dork's quesadillas into something diet friendly for myself. This is what I did:


Tex-Mex Stuffed Zucchini 

You will need:

Bell Peppers 
Onions
Salsa
Avocado
Lean Hamburger Meat 
Lowfat Sour Cream
Zucchini 
Chipotle Hot Sauce
Cayenne Pepper

First take your zucchini and scoop out the inside seedy part. I saved this part to put in an omelette for breakfast. Then set the zucchini aside for later. At this point go ahead and preheat the oven to 425°F.

In a skillet, place the hamburger meat along with a sprinkle of cayenne and hot sauce. Use as much or as little to adjust to your heat tolerance. I have a low tolerance so used just enough for flavor. Brown the meat, drain the excess oil and set aside. 

Next, cut your peppers and onions into slices, and toss them into a pan a sauté them lightly in oil. I chose to do the vegetables separately from the meat because Quirky does not like hamburger meat or spicy foods of any kind. We simply used leftover grilled chicken for her quesadilla.

Once all the ingredients are cooked you can begin to assemble your stuffed zucchini. In the hollowed out area of the zucchini place a small amount of the meat, onions, and peppers. Sprinkle lightly with lowfat shredded cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven until cheese is melted and zucchini is crisp tender. While the zucchini is baking dice up the avocado. 

After the zucchini have finished baking cover with a bit of salsa and sprinkle with the diced avocado. Serve with the lowfat sour cream.

This really was simple to do. All the ingredients were simply layered in a whole wheat tortilla. While the zucchini was in the oven I browned their quesadillas until the cheese melted. Simple. I will definitely be making this meal again, and who knows maybe I can convince Quirky to give it a try.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment