Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Zucchini and Cheddar Frittata Topped With Spinach Salad

I decided on a whim today to make a frittata for lunch, mainly because I didn't want to stand over a hot stove to make an omelette. It was fairly quick, packed with veggies, and delicious. It was so good that I think I will be revisiting this recipe the next time Dork and Quirky request quiche for dinner. I think it will make a great low-carb alternative. This is what I did:


First I sliced a medium sized zucchini into thin slices. Then I set aside half to use and packed up the rest for a later meal. I'm thinking in a salad for dinner tonight would be great. 

Next I poured a 1/2 cup of egg substitute into a nine inch greased pie plate. Then I spread the zucchini that I had set aside through out the egg substitute. 

Then I sprinkled it with cayenne pepper and an Italian seasoning blend. Then I sprinkled it with a 1/4 cup of lowfat cheddar cheese blend. Of course you can substitute spices if you want. I just felt like something with a little kick for lunch today. 

Then I backed in a 400°F oven for ten minutes. Or cook it until egg is completely set. After removing from the pie plate, I topped it with about a 1/2 of baby spinach and a 1/4 of fresh tomato. Last I drizzled just a little of Lite Italian dressing on top.

It really was delicious, and fairly healthy coming in at only 249 calories, 16 grams of carbs, 23 grams of protein, and 12 grams of fat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment