Sunday, May 19, 2019

READING THROUGH THE UNITED STATES...GEORGIA

Georgia...

Okay...really fast, don’t take time to think, now shout out the name of a novel set in Georgia. Did you shout out Gone With the Wind? If you did, then we have established the novel that I did not read. No sappy southern literature for me please. I’ve tried before, because it’s a “classic”, but got no further than a chapter or so. So no...was not going to happen.





Instead I ended up reading something so far from sappy southern literature it could be thought of as its opposite. Grotesquely graphic mysteries...not for the squeamish or the faint of heart. I chose to read Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter, a choice I made because I had read a few books by Karin Slaughter before. I was neither disappointed nor blown away. 
A violent murder in a diner of a small Georgia town triggers and unusual response from, Sara Linton, the local pediatrician and part time coroner. The investigation is led by her ex-husband, who also happens to be the police chief. A extra dead body or so later it becomes clear that something from Sara’s past just might be involved with what’s happening in the present. 
I have just a few things to say about this book. First it was a little more graphic than I felt necessary, but I guess shows like Criminal Minds and CSI have desensitized our collective society. Most people can do I did, glaze over the gory bits. Second I was really frustrated how quickly I was able to figure out who the culprit was. It was obvious...maybe I’ve read to many mystery books or watched too many crime shows. Who knows...but either way I was a bit annoyed at then end when that plot twist didn’t happen. I was still hoping I was wrong. 

Overall, this was a quick easy read and not a bad way to keep my mind busy on a lazy afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment