Sunday, May 5, 2019

READING THROUGH THE UNITED STATES...CONNECTICUT

Connecticut...

Question...is it cheating if I chose to read a juvenile book? I think I’m going to go with no. The book was a short but enjoyable read, which I devoured on a Saturday morning while relaxing in the quiet of the morning and having my second cup of coffee. Both Quirky, Dork, and our dog Milo were still sound asleep. Honestly, it was perfect. The book I chose was The Witch of Blackbird Pond, by Elizabeth George Speare. It was the 1959  Newberry Medal winner, and a well deserved honor. 


The main character Katherine Tyler, or Kit, after the death of her Grandfather in Barbados, sets out for Connecticut and to the only family she has left. Her arrival, and her free spirit, comes as quite a surprise to her Puritan family and their community. She fits in like a square peg in a round hole. At every turn, she seems to make poor choices that cause the community to distrust her. But is it really a poor choice to help a child in need or to visit with an elderly Quaker woman? I think not, yet she still finds herself on trial for witchcraft. 
As I read this book, the one recurring thought in my head was how, in the name of our own religions we so very often persecute others for theirs. I’m not sure that question can be answered in a single blog post, nor do I think I alone can answer that question. 
This is juvenile fiction at its best. A well researched historical fiction that transports the reader back in time, filled with meaningful characters and subtle lessons to be learned. As a homeschooling parent I would recommend this as a great read along for a history or religion class. It was also make an excellent read aloud for the younger kiddos as well. Can’t recommend it enough. In fact, it was a book that Quirky read several years ago as one of her self selected books. (I’m glad to know she has such good taste in books.) 
With a little bit of work, you can find ample resources to turn this into a excellent unit study. There is an excellent study guide on the Glencoe website with introductory information, along with questions and other activities. Just to get you started...


No comments:

Post a Comment