Tuesday, April 30, 2019

READING THROUGH THE UNITED STATES...COLORADO

Colorado...


It must be a pretty terrifying place inside Stephen King’s imagination. I just envision all my darkest fears from childhood to adulthood all rolling around in there, and then flowing out on the book page in such a way that’s its destined to nearly scare me to death, and has on several occasions. I read my first Stephen King novel when I was in college, an experience I will not forget as it left me looking over my shoulder and under my bed. Like a frightened child. Let’s just sum all this up by saying I’m a fan of his work, and I’ve read many over the years. 

There are however a few of his novels that I have not had the chance read, so when Colorado was up next on my list I kind of knew what I wanted to read. The Shining. It’s been on my to read list for quite awhile and this would be the perfect time and excuse.


The novel centers around the Torrance family and their move to Colorado, where the father has been recently employed as the winter caretaker for  the Overlook Hotel. It starts out simple enough, but soon the family find themselves isolated from the world, snowed in with a father and husband quickly being possessed by the evil within the house. The son calls for help and attempts to fight the evil. 
This brief and over simplistic summary of the story is sadly lacking, but honestly it’s hard to sum up all the intricate details that King weaves into his stories. He creates alternate worlds, where as a reader you become invested in the lives of the characters. His novels always make you feel as if you are a part of the book. 
This one was no different. I was there when Wendy fought for her life, fleeing from a husband possessed by evil. I was there when the monstrous topiaries attacked Danny. I was there when Danny called out, pleading for help in his own unique way. At its heart, for me, it was a ghost story on steroids. With horror hiding around every turned page, I was engrossed in the story. I couldn’t read fast enough and had to be reminded that I needed to eat and sleep. I expected a great read and I’m glad to say I was not disappointed.


Once again, Stephen King has done it, left me petrified, looking over my shoulder, and under the bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment