Friday, January 27, 2012

Flashback Friday...Got Velcro?

     In a jumbled pile inside my laundry room lays all three pairs of Quirky's shoes. Yes...you heard me. Only three pairs...she is no fashionista and getting her to try on and agree to those three was quite an accomplishment. (Just ask Dork he was the one who took her shoe shopping) That however is not what I am here to talk about. Its the shoes themselves. You see in that small pile at least one of those pairs...


has laces. Yes that's right Quirky can tie her shoes.
     This wasn't always the case. In fact this shoe tying miracle is a rather recent development. I would love to say that I was the genius who taught her this extremely helpful skill. Alas it was most definitely not me...after getting head butted while trying to teach her I made the head preserving decision that Velcro and its peace keeping properties was the way to go.
     There is...one small problem with that decision. Quirky has always had long feet and now well...let me just ask... When is the last time you saw shoes with Velcro closing for women's size eight and a half shoes? Not since the late eighties or early nineties. For the last couple of years we have been lucky to find slip on kind that fit...but this year our luck ran out.  So we bought the ones with laces. It'll be fine...we'll get you elastic laces we promised. I'll help you tie them...I promised.
     Turns out that we didn't need to do any of those things. Quirky did it all by herself...without even thinking about it. Quite honestly I don't know if she realizes that she is doing it. But she is and that is all that really matters. Oh yeah...and to the teacher (you know who you are) who taught her this miraculous skill my head greatly thanks you.

No comments:

Post a Comment