Monday, April 1, 2019

NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS

NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS...


Begin with good intentions and more often than not end in failure and make us feel like failures in turn. As for myself, many many New Year’s have come and gone along with their failed resolutions. Everything from the classic lose weight to drinking less coffee. Most never made it past the month and a half mark, and if I’m being completely honest, drinking less coffee 
lasted two weeks tops. Seriously, with a Starbucks practically on every street corner I’m surprised I made it a full day. Lose weight? Did that and then gained it all back with a little extra to spare. I could go on, but it is depressing and really who wants to hear that? This year I decided to give myself a break with the “health” resolutions and try to do something a little more fun and definitely something a little more achievable.  
READING MY WAY THROUGH THE UNITED STATES...


Being an avid reader, this is something I would be doing anyway. Now I would being doing one of the things that already love with a twist. This is what I call a win win situation. The guidelines I set for myself are pretty simple:
  1. I am going through the states in alphabetical order.
  2. The book must set in the state.
  3. Life is too short for poorly written books, so scrapping a book and starting a new one is definitely okay.
  4. Nothing that I have read previously counts or can be re-read.
  5. Audio books count. I struggled with this decision but in the end decided that if I’m actively listening...then it counts.
  6. Last but not least...NO PRESSURE! This is purely for fun.
STILL GOING STRONG...

Now April is here and to my surprise I’m still at it. I’ve read fifteen books so far, and have been introduced to new authors and to books I might not have otherwise picked up. I’ve read horror and I’ve read historical fiction, and yes I 
have implemented rule number 3.  Rule number four has definitely been a challenge...did I mention I love to read. Overall, things are going well and I’m enjoying myself, which in itself was my true resolution. Taking away the pressure from these once a year lifestyle changes or promises that are rarely kept. So maybe this will be it, the year that I finish a resolution and feel great about doing so. 

RESOURCES...

How did I go about finding my books? I’ve used a few resources and lists that I’ve found online and of course suggestions from friends and family. Here are a few:
  1. GoodReads...I was recently introduced to this website and have been left wondering what rock I’ve been living under. It’s an amazing resource.
  2. Google...no brainer right. I feel silly even typing this out. 
  3. My local library and their website. Check yours out.
  4. Pinterest. Is there anything that you can’t find on Pinterest?

No comments:

Post a Comment