Sunday, April 14, 2019

READING THROUGH THE UNITED STATES...ALABAMA

Check out more of Winston Groom’s work.


Alabama...

There are quite a few novels that are set in the state of Alabama, but ultimately I chose a novel that was the basis for a very well known movie. A movie that I’ve seen many times. A movie that I really enjoy. The movie has it all; romance, action, friendship, family, and a uplifting message. Think Tom Hanks...yep Forrest Gump. The book has been on my to read list for quite awhile, and now was a perfect time. Because my experience has been that nine times out of ten the book is better than the movie, I was ready for an outstanding read.


The novel Forrest Gump by Winston Groom is vastly different from the movie, and if you check out the Goodreads reviews you will find that the reviews are mixed. I personally, was not disappointed. Just like the movie, I found this novel had it all; romance, action, adventure, friendship, and family. Yes, the book is much darker and a far cry from being what you might call politically correct, but it is well written and honestly made me laugh out loud. 

As a mother of a special needs child, I recognize that some might find it offensive, but for me it was a story about this amazing character, who despite his differences is able to live a full and adventurous life. Yes some of these adventures are outlandish, from wrestling in a diaper to being launched into space with an orangutan named Sue. Yet, he is also attends college and is a world class ping-pong champion. He makes friends and has lovers. 



Overall, his  life is filled with both successes and failures. He meets people who are a positive influence in his life, and people who take advantage of him. He goes through life and he meets each challenge and each success with a sense of innocence and humor combined.  In a word, he is just like anyone of us. For me that is the uplifting take away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment